What is a Download Access Code and how to use it?
A Download Access Code can be considered as a voucher for a software product and its license. Depending on the type of license management, the behavior during the redemption process is slightly different:
- Steinberg Licensing: It grants an entitlement for a product license in the Steinberg Activation Manager (SAM) and places the product to be downloaded in the “My product downloads” category in the Steinberg Download Assistant.
Please note that during the transition from the eLicenser to the new Steinberg Licensing, an activation code might still be part of the license upgrade.
- eLicenser-based: It provides an activation code that activates the new license in the eLicenser Control Center and places the product to be downloaded in the “My product downloads” category in the Steinberg Download Assistant
What does a Download Access Code look like?
A Download Access Code is a string of alphabetic and numeric characters divided into 5 groups with 5 digits each. Here's an example: 12ABC-DEFG3-HI4JK-5L67M-8NO99
Where can I find my Download Access Code?
Often, the Download Access Code is what you receive when you purchase Steinberg software. But it can also be part of a bundle that contains music hardware and Steinberg software. Special promotional or educational offers might also involve Download Access Codes.
- If you've purchased software as a download online, the Download Access Code has been provided by email.
- If your Steinberg software is delivered in a box or is part of a hardware bundle, the Download Access Code is usually printed on an included card - the 'Essential Product License Information'.
Where do I redeem my Download Access Code?
Download Access Codes can be redeemed in two ways:
Steinberg Download Assistant (recommended)
By redeeming a Download Access Code in the Steinberg Download Assistant, the whole process of product activation and provisioning of the installation can be made in one go. Just enter the Download Access Code and the Steinberg Download Assistant guides you through the required steps.
- Steinberg Download Assistant download
- Steinberg Download Assistant step-by-step-guide for eLicenser-based products
- Steinberg Download Assistant step-by-step-guide for Steinberg Licensing products
You can also redeem a Download Access Code in your MySteinberg account.
Once you've logged in, click on "Redeem Download Access Code" in the “Products” category and follow the on-screen instructions.
Please note that redeeming Download Access Codes in the Steinberg Download Assistant (see above) is more convenient.
Can I enter the same Download Access Code more than once?
Typically, this is not necessary, as the redeemed license is connected to your Steinberg ID automatically.
However, if an error occurred during the code redemption in the Steinberg Download Assistant, it may help to restart the redemption process again at a later point. Note, that this will only resume interrupted code redemptions, but it does not grant any individual new license entitlements on other systems.