This article describes how to download and install resp. register VST Sound and Loop Sets.
VST Sound and Loop Sets are sound libraries specifically tailored for Cubase and Nuendo users. Technically, they are a collection of thoughtfully tagged sound files consolidated in a single file. All VST Sound and Loop Sets have the file name extension .vstsound.
- To be able to download your VST Sound and Loop Set you will need the latest version of the Steinberg Download Assistant.
- You also should have installed the latest version of the Steinberg Library Manager.
- Make sure you have a valid license for the VST Sound and Loop Set you want to use.
Help Center articles on license activation:
- Open the Steinberg Download Assistant.
- Make sure the download path defined in the "Target folder:" field at the top of the right column is correct. It is recommended to store the downloads at a location where you want the VST Sound and Loop Sets to be placed permanently. Remember that moving the downloaded components later takes additional time.
- Once the download path is set, click on the categorie "Sounds & Loops" on the left.
- Select the VST Sound and Loop Set you want to download and install.
- To start the download, click on 'Download' in the corresponding entry on the right.
- A progress bar provides you with information on the running downloads.
- Please note that VST Sound and Loop Sets can be huge. Depending on your internet connection and the size of the set, the downloads can take a considerable amount of time.
The Steinberg Download Assistant showing a completed download (green progress bar) of "VST Sound & Loop Collection".
- Once Steinberg Download Assistant has completed the download (green progress bar), click on "Open" in the entry of the downloaded VST Sound and Loop Set at the right.
- Steinberg Library Manager opens and suggests to register the sound files. (In this regard, registration means informing Cubase/Nuendo that there is new sound content to load. The registration for your VST Sound and Loop Set license is being done independently in your MySteinberg account.)
- The dialog box "Library Registration" gives you the following options:
- Install to Default Location: The vstsound file will be copied to the default path defined in Steinberg Library Manager's preferences.
- Install to Path: This option lets you define an individual path.
- Register in Place means, that the vstsound file will not be moved.
- Keep Installation Files: If you disable this option, the installation file will be put into the bin after the registration has been completed.
- Click "OK" to proceed and wait for the registration to finish. Please be patient. It can take some time until all files have been registered completely.
- As soon as Steinberg Library Manager has completed the registration, a window pops up reporting that "VST Sounds registered successfully." Click "OK"to confirm.
- To register further downloaded VST Sound and Loop Sets, please return to Steinberg Download Assistant and repeat the steps above.
Alternative ways to register vstsound files
1. Basically, it is possible to register any VST Sound and Loop Set simply by double-clicking on the corresponding .vstsound file. This opens the Steinberg Library Manager which will assist you with the following steps. See "Register" above.
2. You can also manually move a VST Sound and Loop Set's vstsound file to a folder that already contains registered sounds. In this case, the VST Sound and Loop Set will be automatically loaded next time you start Cubase and Nuendo.