This article describes how to install an instrument for HALion, HALion Sonic and HALion Sonic SE - hereafter named 'HALion instrument'.
HALion instruments are libraries that can include sound files, presets and an own graphical user interface to turn HALion, HALion Sonic and HALion Sonic SE into a specialized tone generator.
Available HALion instruments are, for example, Steinbergs Iconica orchester libraries or Vertigo Strings, Hammered Dulcimer, Marimba and Guitar Harmonics Essential by Cinematique Instruments.
1. Preparing download and installation
- Download and install the Steinberg Download Assistant.
- Open the Steinberg Download Assistant and click on the requested HALion instrument.
- A list of all available components of the chosen HALion instrument appears.
2. HALion/HALion Sonic requirements
Before you proceed and start the installation, please make sure you have installed a HALion, HALion Sonic or HALion Sonic SE version that is compatible with your HALion instrument.
In most cases, HALion 6.1.15, HALion Sonic 3.1.15 or HALion Sonic SE 3.1.15 or a newer version is required.
You don't have HALion 6, HALion Sonic 3 or HALion Sonic SE 3 installed?
Both HALion 6 and HALion Sonic 3 are available from our online shop.
If you don't have HALion 6 or HALion Sonic 3, you can use HALion Sonic SE 3 which is available for free. In Steinberg Download Assistant, the HALion Sonic 3 SE installer can be found at the top of the list of your HALion instrument's components.
Please note: HALion Sonic SE 3 is also included in Cubase 9.5 or later. So if you have installed Cubase 9.5, HALion Sonic SE 3 is already installed and, if neccessary, only needs to be updated.
This screenshot is showing all 'Iconica Sections & Players' components listed in the Steinberg Download Assistant.
Apart from their names, the sound library components can easily be recognized by their size.
3. Downloading and registering library components of your HALion instrument
If you have a compatible version of HALion, HALion Sonic or HALion Sonic SE installed, please proceed as follows:
- Define the installation path in the 'Target folder:' field above the components list. It is recommended to store the downloads at a location where you want the HALion instrument's library components to be placed permanently. Remember that moving the downloaded components later takes additional time.
- Once the download and installation path is set, download the HALion instrument's library components via Steinberg Download Assistant.
- To do so, click on 'Download' in the corresponding lines in the list of components in the Steinberg Download Assistant.
- A progress bar provides you with information on the running downloads.
- Please note that HALion instrument libraries can be huge. Depending on your internet connection and the size of the library, the downloads can take a considerable amount of time.
- Once all downloads have been completed (green progress bar), click on 'Open' in the line of the first library component listed by Steinberg Download Assistant.
- HALion Library Manager, a tool installed along with HALion/HALion Sonic (SE), opens and suggests to register contained sound files ('Register VST Sounds').
- Click 'OK' to proceed and wait for the registration to finish. Please be patient. It can take some time until all files have been registered completely.
- As soon as HALion Library Manager has completed the registration, a window pops up reporting that 'VST Sounds registered successfully.' Click 'OK' to confirm.
- To register further downloaded library components, please return to Steinberg Download Assistant and repeat the registration steps above.
4. License requirements
Please remember that your HALion instrument might require a valid license.
HALion instrument licenses include a license for HALion Sonic SE 3. If you want to use your HALion instrument with HALion 6 or HALion Sonic 3, please make sure that the corresponding license is available on your system, too.
Help Center articles on license activation: