When purchasing a Steinberg application, you receive a license in addition to the software itself. The license initially comes in the form of an activation code and must be activated to be able to permanently use the corresponding software.
The activation is done in the utility eLicenser Control Center that is being installed along with each Steinberg application automatically. After entering the activation code, the license will be downloaded and stored either in the Soft-eLicenser - locally on hard disk - or on a connected USB-eLicenser (dongle, key).
If a Soft-eLicenser or an USB-eLicenser is required depends on the used application.
- The Soft-eLicenser is a file on the hard disk, functioning as a virtual license container.
- Each Soft-eLicenser has a unique 2 x 10-digit serial number, which is needed to register the software/license with a MySteinberg account and also to request activation codes (licenses).
- Soft-eLicensers resp. their serial numbers are system-specific. Licenses stored in a Soft-eLicenser are bound to a single computer.
- After switching computer platforms or a new installation of the operating system (for example after a hard disk failure), licenses stored in a Soft-eLicenser must be renewed by performing a reactivation via a MySteinberg account.
- Licenses can be transferred from a Soft-eLicenser to an USB-eLicenser. However, a transfer from USB-eLicenser to Soft-eLicenser is not possible.
- The USB-eLicenser (dongle, USB key) is the hardware-based counterpart of the Soft-eLicenser.
- Each USB-eLicenser has a unique (depending on the revision 12- or 13-digit) serial number, which is needed to register the software with a MySteinberg account.
- Licenses stored on a USB-eLicenser are independent from a specific computer. They can be used on any suitable computer on which the corresponding software has been installed.
- Licenses stored on an USB-eLicenser stand hard disk failures and new installations of the operating system.
- Licenses can be transferred from an USB-eLicenser to another USB-eLicenser.
- However, a transfer from USB-eLicenser to Soft-eLicenser is not possible
The eLicenser Control Center displaying a Soft-eLicenser,
a connected USB-eLicenser and the contained licenses.