On rare occasions, it might be necessary to uninstall and remove an application prior to a complete reinstallation. This applies to our sequencers Cubase and Nuendo as well as to Steinberg VST plug-ins.
All relevant files of the application that have to be deleted can be found in the following paths:
- System volume/Applications/
- System volume/Users/<Username>/Library/Preferences/*
- System volume/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST/
- System volume/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST3/Steinberg/
- System volume/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Components/
- System volume/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/
- System volume/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Content/VST Sound/**
- System volume/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Content/Halion/VST Sound/**
*Since Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion), the user's Library folder is hidden. Here is how to access it: In the menu bar of Mac OS X click on 'Go'. While the menu is folded out, holding down the [alt] key (options) will show the 'Library' entry.
**These two folders only exist in case the product you have installed, also contains a sound library.
In some cases, even after removing those files it could happen that the reinstallation of the product might fail.
In that case, please follow these instructions:
Mac OS X 10.5 or earlier
Please remove the .pkg files related to that application on the following location:
- System volume/Library/Receipts
Mac OS X 10.6 or later
The receipts don't exist anymore, instead something like the receipts are stored in another place. This is how you can make them visible:
- Open Terminal.app (found in /Applications/Utilities)
- Type and press enter: "cd /private/var/db/receipts" (without the quotation marks!)
- Type and press enter: "open ."(with a space between open and the dot and again without the quotation marks!)
- Now a finder window opens with information about the installed packages.
- You should delete all the Steinberg related .bom and .plist entries (Make sure you are only deleting the entries related to the application you want to uninstall!)