Apple has adopted new security features on Apple silicon-based Macs.
To install the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver on an Apple silicon-based Mac, the macOS security policy needs to be changed. After that, the driver can be installed using the same procedure as under macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) or later. Please follow the instructions below.
Change the macOS security policy
This is required only if the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver or the TOOLS software that includes the driver is installed for the first time.
- Shut down your Mac
- "Press and hold the power button until you see "Loading startup options …"
Your Mac will boot into Recovery mode
- Click Options (gear icon), then click Continue
- In macOS Recovery, choose your account and click Next. Enter the password and click Continue
- In the top menu go to Utilities → Startup Security Utility
- Select the system on which you want to install the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver. If the disk is encrypted with FileVault, click Unlock, enter the password, and then click Unlock
- Click Security Policy, choose Reduced Security and check the option to allow user management of kernel extensions from identified developers
- Click OK. Enter the password for your account and click OK.
- Restart your Mac from Apple menu
Install the driver or the TOOLS software package
This is required every time the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver or the TOOLS software that includes the driver is installed.
1. Double-click the “.pkg” file in the driver or TOOLS package
2. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the software. If you have not installed Rosetta, you will see the message below. Please do not forget to install Rosetta!
If you want to install the driver only, please skip to step 7 now!
3. Click "Continue" and follow the on-screen instructions to install the TOOLS.
4. When the installation of the TOOLS is completed, click "Close".
5. When this message is displayed, click "OK" to allow the installer to access the files.
6. When this message is displayed, you can either trash or keep the installer.
7. Click "Continue" here and follow the on-screen instructions to install the Driver.
8. Right after the installation is finished, you will see the message below.
Click "Open Security Preferences"
For now, ignore the Security & Privacy window that appears.
10. Bring up the "Install Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver" window and click "Restart".
11. When this message is displayed, click "OK" to allow the installer to access the files.
12. When this message is displayed, you can either trash or keep the installer.
13. After restart, Security & Privacy window will be brought up again.
Now open General tab and click the lock in the bottom left and unlock Security & Privacy preferences.
14. Allow system software from developer "Yamaha Corporation" to be loaded
15. When you see the message below, click "Restart"
16. After the restart, Security & Privacy windows like this will be brought up again.
Now the installation of the driver has been completed.