This article deals with how to use a Steinberg MR816X/CSX as a slave device connected via ADAT to a master device.
In this scenario, a 'master' device is connected to the compute while the MR is used as a 'slave' stand-alone unit. We will use ADAT / TOSLINK cables to send the signal from the stand-alone MR device(s) to the master device.
- Install the latest TOOLS for MR.
- Connect your MR interface to the computer
- Open the DspMixFx
- Configure the ADAT pairs to output the signal received from the respective MIC inputs:
- Click on ADAT 1-2
- Pan MIC 1 and 2 hard left and hard right
- Mute the other MIC channels
Proceed in the same fashion for all ADAT pairs and correspondent MIC inputs as per the colour code in the screen-shot below.
Once set up, please close the MixDspFx, the current configuration will be saved.
- Now, please connect the master device to the computer
- Connect the ADAT/TOSLINK cables from ADAT OUT on the MR to the ADAT IN on the master device
- You can either use the BNC-connector or ADAT for Wordclock synchronisation of the devices
Now you need to create the proper VST Connections (F4 or Devices -> VST Connections) in Cubase.
Create the desired amount of input tracks and assign them as needed, the analogue MR inputs will be available as the master device ADAT In.