What does Activation mean?
After Steinberg software has been installed, it needs to be activated by downloading and storing the required license.
The Activation is done in the utility eLicenser Control Center that is being installed along automatically. After entering an activation code, the license will be downloaded and stored either in the Soft-eLicenser - locally on hard disk - or on a connected USB-eLicenser (dongle).
How do I get my activation code?
- If you have received your Steinberg software in a box, the activation code can be found printed on an included sheet (Essential Product License Information).
- In case you've purchased software as download from our online shop, you receive the activation code by email.
- A further option are Download Access Codes which are included with some Steinberg products. When redeeming a Download Access Code in your MySteinberg account, you'll receive download links as well as an activation code for the corresponding software.
- An activation code will also be sent to you by email when you perform a Reactivation in your MySteinberg account.
- During the installation of one of these legacy products, a demo license limited in time will be created: Cubase LE 4, 5 and 6, Cubase AI 4, 5 and 6, WaveLab LE 6
An activation code for a permanent license can be obtained by registering the software online in your MySteinberg account.
How to use activation codes
The following instructions outline the Activation - thus the download of a license by entering an activation code in the eLicenser Control Center - in detail.
The required actions step-by-step:
- Install your Steinberg software.
- Install the latest update if available online.
Some installers allow for including updates during the installation.
- Open the eLicenser Control Center. You will find it under 'Program Files' (Windows) or 'Applications' (Mac OS X).
- Apply the 'Maintenance & Online Synchronisation' by clicking on 'Perform Maintenance Tasks' (or click on the 'Maintenance' button at the top right if not shown).
USB-eLicenser and Soft-eLicenser in the eLicenser Control Center
- Activation with USB-eLicenser
In case your software requires an USB-eLicenser or if you want to use one, make sure the USB-eLicenser is connected and displayed by the eLicenser Control Center. If the USB-eLicenser appears to be missing, please click here.
- Activation with Soft-eLicenser
If your software does not ask for an USB-eLicenser, the license will be stored in the Soft-eLicenser which will be represented by a hard disk symbol on the left side under 'eLicensers'. If the Soft-eLicenser appears to be missing, please click here.
- If the required USB-eLicenser or Soft-eLicenser is displayed, click on the green button [Enter Activation Code] at the upper left of the eLicenser Control Center.
- Enter activation code. Of course, you can also copy and paste the code into the input field. The activation code must not have been used before.
- Click on [Continue] and finally on [Download License] to complete activation.
- As soon as the license has been downloaded, it will appear in the right column of the eLicenser Control Center under 'Licenses'. Now the activation is complete. You can use your software now.
If you have further unused activation codes, simply repeat the steps accordingly.
During the activation, licenses that are usually stored in a Soft-eLicenser on a hard disk can alternatively be stored on a connected USB-eLicenser.
Licenses that already have been stored in a Soft-eLicenser still can be transferred to a USB-eLicenser. In this way, a license can be made portable and also be made usable on computers without internet access.
Read more on transferring licenses ...
If you experience difficulties during the activation, you will find helpful information in these knowledge base articles:
USB-eLicenser/Steinberg Key - Details, Tips and Troubleshooting
If you cannot solve an activation or license problem, please refer to our support team via the Contact page. Please describe the issue as detailed as possible and, if applicable, name the activation code you've tried to use.
An unused activation code is equal to a not yet used software license. Newly purchased Steinberg software always comes with an activation code - online by email or inside the product box. The corresponding license can be downloaded to activate an installation by entering the activation code in the eLicenser Control Center. In general, activation codes can only be used once.
eLicenser Control Center
The eLicenser Control Center is a license management utility. It will be installed along with any software that stores its license in a Soft- or USB-eLicenser. The eLicenser Control Center can be accessed via 'Program Files' (Windows) or 'Applications' (Mac OS X). Among others, it allows for verifying licenses stored on a Soft-eLicenser and/or connected USB-eLicensers.
MySteinberg is the name of the customer section on our website. Here you can create your own account and manage your Steinberg hardware and software registrations. If needed, you can also request new activation codes via the 'Reactivation' process in MySteinberg.
A Soft-eLicenser is a virtual license container on hard disk. In other words, it is a locally stored file that holds license information. Licenses stored in a Soft-eLicenser are bound to a specific computer.
An USB-eLicenser is a USB key (dongle) on which licenses can be stored independently from a specific computer. Licenses on an USB-eLicenser are not affected by, for example, reinstalling the operating system and allow for using the licensed software on mutliple computers.