Watch the tutorial video on YouTube or continue reading...
Many Steinberg programs store their license in the so called Soft-eLicenser, a virtual license container on the hard disk.
Transferring the license from the Soft-eLicenser to a USB-eLicenser (dongle, key) offers various advantages:
- With your license on a USB-eLicenser you can install and use your Steinberg program on as many computers as you like. To authorise the installation you want to use just connect the USB-eLicenser.
- Programs that are using the Soft-eLicenser can only be activated on computers with internet access. A USB-eLicenser enables activation of your Steinberg software on computers that are not connected to the internet.
- Licenses stored on the hard disk need to be reactivated online after reinstalling the operating system or switching to another computer. Using a USB-eLicenser makes online reactivation redundant.
- Furthermore, the license transfer to the USB-eLicenser is a necessary condition to be able to upgrade to a higher program version that requires a USB-eLicenser.
USB-eLicensers are available from any Steinberg dealer and, of course, at our online shop.
Important: A license transfer into the opposite direction - from USB-eLicenser to Soft-eLicenser - is not possible. As soon as a license has been transferred to a USB-eLicenser, there is no way back onto the hard disk. That means the USB-eLicenser holding the transferred license has to be connected when running the corresponding program.
This is how it works:
- Install the latest eLicenser Control Center on the computer on which you've already activated your Steinberg program: http://www.steinberg.net/en/company/technologies/elicenser.html
- Open the eLicenser Control Center. On Windows computers you'll find it under Programs > eLicenser in the Start menu. On Macs in the "Applications" folder.
- Connect the USB-eLicenser. On Windows wait until the driver installation has finished.
- The eLicenser Control Center will now show you both Soft-eLicenser (hard disk symbol) and USB-eLicenser.
- Click on the Soft-eLicenser to select it.
- In the list to the right, click on the Soft-eLicenser license you wish to transfer to grab it and drag it to the entry of the other USB-eLicenser license while holding down the mouse button.
- As soon as you release the mouse button the license will be transferred.