iZotope RX Connect is a plug-in for exchanging audio with the iZotope RX Audio Editor standalone application. The plug-in was tailored around the Offline Process function of earlier Nuendo versions. Since the new Direct Offline Processing feature in Nuendo 8 uses a different operation paradigm, existing iZotope RX Connect versions are no longer compatible.
Steinberg and iZotope are working closely together to provide an improved workflow with Nuendo 8 and the RX Audio Editor.
For the transition time the following workaround has been implemented.
- Start the RX Audio Editor alongside Nuendo.
- In Nuendo, select the audio clip that you want to repair.
- Press F7 to open the Direct Offline Processing window.
- From the +Plug-In pulldown menu, select Restoration/RX5 Connect.
- The audio clip is transmitted to the RX Audio Editor.
- Perform the desired audio processing in the RX Audio Editor.
- Use the "Send Back" function of the RX Audio Editor while the Direct Offline processing window for the repaired clip is still open and the RX Connect process is selected.
- In Nuendo, the RX Connect plug-in of the Direct Offline Process will receive the processed clip. Its GUI now shows a message referring to a Process button. In Nuendo 8, this process button does not exist. As a workaround toggle the Bypass button of the "iZotope RX Connect" Process instead.
- The processed audio will be written into the audio clip of Nuendo.
Considerations about process history vs. external editor
In addition to the workaround described above, the following issues should be considered:
The power of Nuendo 8’s Direct Offline Processing lies in the flexibility when changing previously applied processes and effects of a clip in a history, or even changing the order of existing processes. This works because the later processes can be recalculated at any time.
However, the RX Connect Plug-In is actually not a processing plug-in but a "dealer" with the external RX Audio Editor. As a result, it cannot recalculate the audio if needed. Forcing the recalculation will result in blank audio. To avoid such problem, it is recommended to use the "Make all permanent" (see below) right click function of Nuendo Direct Offline Processing once a repair cycle with RX Audio Editor is completed.